Conservation and Development of the Nandi Hills Ecosystem
This Project focuses on highlighting the unique features of the Nandi Hill ecosystem and current
concerns and challenges that one faces as regards conserving the Nandi ecosystem. The way forward
aims at highlighting proposals which would help, attain sustainable development of Nandi
ecosystem. The following objectives are sort to be addressed;
- To understand the ecological and historical significance of the Nandi Hills.
- To protect the eco-system of Nandi Hills.
- To promote eco-tourism and sustainable livelihood for people surrounding the area.
- To sort out garbage, security and tourism management issues.
- To provide solid-waste management solutions and to provide a proper planning to segregate
- To take steps to prohibit rampant commercial activities in and around the Nandi Hill.
- To prevent land grabbing and hunting in and around the Nandi Hills.
- To track Government initiatives and initiatives by NGOs for the protection of the Nandi Hill.
- To draw people’s attention to the Hills and work towards protecting, preserving and
promotion of it.
- To draft a policy highlighting all the above objectives.
As a part of the Project, a One day agenda setting Workshop on the Nandi Hills Ecosystem was organized by CEERA and Commons Cell that saw participation from multiple stakeholders such as environmentalists, conservationists, scientists, students, NGO’s and law teachers.
The next step of the Project involved a site visit to the Nandi Hills to gain first-hand experience and understanding of the unique features of Nandi Hill Ecosystem situated in Chikkaballapura District, Karnataka, wherein views and perspectives of experts from various fields were shared and the concerns and challenges that the Nandi hills faces as regards conservation was looked into.
The team under the guidance of Prof.Ramesh and Dr.A.N.Yallappa Reddy and other resource persons along with Mr.Raghav, Ms.Prachi and around 70 students of II Year Law, NLSIU Bengaluru undertook this particlaur exrecise that would culminate into a report on the Conservation and Development strategies for the Nandi Hill ecosystem.